Atypical

It's never good when your doctor refers to your symptoms as atypical. Atypical symptoms of a rare condition. Ugh. 


Four people at my doctor's office are receiving Xolair injections for Chronic Urticaria. 3 out of the 4 saw significant improvements within 2 weeks of their first shot. Guess who is the one that didn't improve? Yes, it's me. 

The definition of atypical should now include a picture of me. I got diagnosed with a condition that I'd never heard of, have symptoms that change from hour to hour, and now I have symptoms that don't follow typical symptoms. It is the epitome of atypical. 

I will continue the Xolair injections, hoping that they will decide to work. But I'm almost out of options for treatments. One treatment that I don't want to resort to is Cyclosporin. It is an immunosuppressant that is usually given to people before a transplant to wipe out their immune system. I have quite a few reservations about this form of treatment. One major reason is that I spend the majority of my time with 5 and 6 year-olds. And they are germ magnets!!

My doctor wants someone else to review my case. He contacted some nearby teaching hospitals that might have a doctor willing to consult. I will be going to Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee in July. I have no idea what to expect from going there. They may not have any treatment ideas different from what I'm doing. We are just looking for some sort of relief. I'm tired of being atypical. 

Please pray for wisdom of all the doctors reviewing my case, pray for remission, and pray for wisdom and guidance. 

Comments

  1. Vanderbilt's good!! (Medically speaking!!) Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment