Popsicles and Perspective

We had Popsicles for our special surprise of the day today. I've been playing Hangman with my class to have them guess the fun thing we will be doing. They're getting better at guessing and they were super excited for Popsicles! They were old school Popsicles. The ones in plastic that you have to cut off the top. Best $2.50 I've spent in a while. They loved choosing their color and discussing the flavors. I chose the one with the least artificial coloring (the unicorns get mad when I eat colored foods). It was yellowish and I thought it might be banana. One friend informed me that it was piƱa colada. She was right. It was very good and I only had a small amount of lip swelling from eating it. I couldn't get over how excited they were for such a small treat. Kids these days expect bigger, fancier things and it was nice that a Popsicle was enough excitement for the day. Earlier this week, we did sidewalk chalk out on the blacktop. They enjoyed tracing each other and all I could think was that it looked like a crime scene with little chalk bodies drawn everywhere. One friend asked if I used sidewalk chalk at my house. I explained that I have rocks in the concrete in my driveway and it's not the best for chalk. The boy thought for a minute and said ever so innocently, "you have your own driveway???!!!" and I was taken aback by his question. Then I thought about the places where my kids live and realized that most of them don't have something as simple as their own driveway. Their own place to be a kid. I definitely spent some time thinking about how such a small thing I take for granted is something my kids would wish for. 

Comments