A Day in the Life of Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria Angioedema

Here's a snapshot into a "typical" day dealing with the Unicorns. A "typical" day is a regular day. Not a day with a lot of throat swelling/closing. 

I gave up the hope of waking up and not being swollen months ago. I wake up to swollen lips, swollen patches on my face, and a varying degree of redness due to the hives. I take the first round of meds (9 pills). Eat oatmeal or banana-egg white pancakes. Wait for more lip swelling. Sometimes I get the lump in my throat. That means Benadryl to go with my morning meds. I choose one of three loose workout pants and a big tshirt. That's all I wear now because my body swelling can change throughout the day and regular pants cause pressure and when there's pressure, I swell. 

After lunch, I take more meds (3 pills) and depending on what I eat for lunch I swell more. Or the hives get "angry". My neck turns red and is hot and my cheeks do the same thing when the hives are angry. 

I usually like to nap in the afternoon. My body does a pretty good job staying awake on 400+mg of antihistamines in a day, but a nap is always helpful. 

Dinner usually results in bad hives. Not sure why my nights are worse than my days. Not sure why anything happens with the Unicorns. Depending on how I feel, I will take my nighttime meds (7 more pills) and go straight to bed. 

This is my life. It is becoming my new "normal". I do not like that I'm getting used to this. I don't like dealing with all of this chronic crap. But, I'll blog more about that later. :)

Comments